[*FSFFU*] pheromones

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Sat Sep 27 1997 - 04:03:57 PDT

> >Sheldon. A thoroughly chilling vision of gender war (though it didn't make
> >scientific sense unless you believe that humans give off and can detect
> >pheromones).
>
> Do they?

NH: Not with any reliability, if I remember my bio correctly. Seems to
be faint and vestigial in us. One of the fascinating theories that
Elaine Morgan talked about in "Descent of Woman" was that (and I'm
condensing and paraphrasing) human intelligence and self-awareness may
have developed to the extent it has in order to compensate for the loss
of much biologically determined instinctual behaviour--the loss of
instinct having come about through a combination of evolutionary
changes.

-nalo