Re: [*FSFFU*] Wonder Woman (was Re: Are we talking about Feminist SF?)

From: Luz Guerra (lguerra@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 16:56:08 PDT

Pat wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Luz Guerra wrote:
>

> > When I was 10 there were so few female heroes. Wonder Woman, Cat Woman,
> > they were more my style than Mary Poppins! Who else was there? Do you
> > remember Poison Ivy -- she was an enemy of Batman who, for at least a
> > few issues in the mid-sixties, had her own "short" after the cover story
> > in Batman comics.
> >
> I don't really remember Poison Ivy. But - who else was there? Gloria
> Brooks McNye in Heinlein's "Delilah and the Space Rigger", written in
> 1946, who got her job under an equal-opportunity law passed in Mundania
> in 1964, and proceeded to kick chauvinist ass. Dr Mary Lou Martin in
> Heinlein's "Let There Be Light". Both women, I think, were classmates of
> MASH's Margaret Houlihan, who I started to really like once she got a
> commanding officer she could respect and stopped trying to run the camp
> all be herself with that weak reed Frank Burns as her front man.
> The best role models around were out of books from the early 1900s
> on - Lost and GI Generation women. And don't forget - the latter might
> include Edith Bunker and Mom, but it also included Hot Lips, Rosie the
> Riveter, and what career women were around until the next wave of
> feminism.
>
> Patricia (Pat) Mathews
> mathews@unm.edu

Pat:

The sci-fi/fantasy women of my adolescence...
do you remember (was it Heinlein's) Podkayne of Mars? also the women
in Stranger in a STrange Land? They were "modern" women who, in my
memory, were still so defined by their sex/gender roles & their
relationships to men. Came no where close to Hot Lips.
Then there was Lady Jessica of Dune -- she was a powerful woman whose
mental powers were greater than many male physical pwoers. I liked her
I think because her powers were attainable, through training, as opposed
to powers I could never realistically aspire to.

luz