Re: [*FSFFU*] raising kids (some on-topic)

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Sun Oct 19 1997 - 21:57:50 PDT

Donna L. Hall wrote:

Jumping in on an off-topic conversation (sorry) to add a bit. In California,
at least a child care home has to be inspected and licensed. I'm not
following this thread closely, but isn't it true that in many other
societies, children are raised or looked after by other than the nuclear
family group? And (bringing it to the topic) didn't Suzy Charnes' Trilogy
(Walk to the End of the World, Motherlines, and The Furies) mention a group
involvment in raising a child, in which the child was raised by more than her
biological mother? It seems to me that the main character's child was raised
this way, and thus incorporated into the culture of the Riding Women.
--------------------------

First off, yes, in Illinois child care homes need to be inspected and
licensed. However, at least when my mother was doing child care out of our
home, she was then eligible for government subsidizing for things such as
cheese and child care. I don't remember that she ever participated in that
program (this was when I was 9 to 12 or so), but I do know one of her friends
who also did child care out of her home did participate.

Okay, now for more on-topic: Donna's mention of the Suzy McKee Charnas
trilogy reminded me of Robert Sawyer's trilogy of _Far-Seer_,
_Fossil_Hunter_, and _Foreigner_. In Sawyer's trilogy, which may not
entirely apply because it deals with an intelligent reptilian species (called
Quintaglios) rather than humans, but in that world, the children were raised
not even _knowing_ who their parents were. The eggs were laid in a creche
and the children were raised by members of the tribe who were specifically
chosen to do so.

Incidentally, the Sawyer trilogy is a series that I would very
enthusiastically recommend, first because he has obviously put a great deal
of thought into the world and inhabitants he creates and makes sure that the
reader cannot forget that the Quintaglios are not human. But in relation to
this list, I would recommend the trilogy because it is one of the best
examples of a true meritocracy that I have seen. Male and female only become
an issue when a female comes into receptivity and begins looking for a mate
(there are a few exceptions, but only a few). Otherwise, male and female
isn't much of an issue in their society. Also, their deity is female. Someone
(I'm sorry, I've just checked my e-mail after a few days and so it's all a
blur) at one point mentioned books in which the ideals feminism strives for
are basically realized, and these, I think are a good example (except for the
little detail that these are not humans we're dealing with).

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com