Re: [*FSFFU*] bios, Indigo, Native Tongue

From: BJBenesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 16:16:26 PDT

First, thanks to all who reminded me that I can get bios off the archive which
I was told about in my welcome message. I haven't deleted it (heavens *No!*),
but I didn't think to consult it, so thank you all for patience with a newbie.

Next: Erin Laur said:

> I haven't read a whole lot of Sci-Fi novels, but my grandfather have me
> a bunch of books in the Indigo series by Louise Cooper. <snip>

I have read the Indigo series, but ages ago. Actually I was just clearing
some stuff out of my father's basement (yes, I'm at that "making egregious use
of the storage space of others" stage of life) and found my copies of the
Indigo series. I started to read the first one again, but then got yanked off
course by finding some other books that I hadn't read in forever.

> Interesting aspects both feminist and sort of anti as well. The warrior
> hero is a woman (and her only lasting companion is a female wolf), there
> is the idea of a loving but powerful Earth Mother. But Indigo (as she
> names herself) is also constantly spurred on by the fact that her
> lover/fiancee is still alive in limbo and may be released once she
> finishes her quest.

I agree. I think when I read them initially, the feminist and anti-feminist
aspects of it kind of confused me. I don't think I have the whole series
because I got into them when the first book came out and as each new one came
out I would have to go back and re-read the whole thing, which got aggravating
to 16-year-old me. When I started the first one again, I think part of why it
was so easy for me to get diverted to something else was because I somehow
didn't have as much... connection? empathy? (I can't think of the right word)
for Indigo as I did way back when. But I think as a function of the story she
starts out as kind of spoiled, and so I was kind of annoyed with Indigo from
the start.

I'm not especially reading anything right now, so I'll go try to read them
again if you're real interested in discussing them. I think they're a good
subject for the list, because now I'm remember the weird "evil being" who
looked like a child with silver eyes. Kind of interesting: a woman releases
all the horrors of the world, a child is her nemesis, and she is spurred on in
her quest to capture the horros by thoughts of her male lover. Whew!!!

> I would love some comment from others who have read this series (but
> don't spoil the ending, I'm not through all the books yet.)
> Erin

I promise I won't spoil the ending because I think I'll have to go out and
find the last couple of books in order to finish the series myself.

--------

And finally, from the response about "Native Tongue" and from what I've
gathered about it from other people's responses, I would vote for it to be
reprinted if only so I could have the chance to see it (would it help if I
*promise* to buy it?? :)

I too am very interested in linguistics and have marveled for some time at how
really rotten a method of communication language is. (Please pardon my
backward grammar there.) Anyway, please count my vote for reprinting Native
Tongue, before I go off about women trying to explain their experience using
male words.

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com