Re: [*FSFFU*] Title Changes

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 17:22:15 PDT

Debra-

It's all right. I can understand completely. To answer your question: Yes, I
do work in publishing. It's a small publishing company out of southeast
Michigan, but I work in publishing all the same.

Actually, I should have made an addendum to that: IMHO, *most* publishers
cater to that myth - I point to the changes made from Louisa May Alcott's
_Little Women_ in the novelization of the film. The text was dumbed down,
even though the defense was that it was being presented for younger readers.
I, however, have never met anyone who (if they've read the book) who hadn't
read it by time they were 11 (I was 9).

Penguin and its groups are actually the ones who are probably best in not
catering to it. The catch-22 that business and consumers put themselves into
are, very often, hot buttons for me. Mike's "illiterate" comment really
bristled my fur (not that I like "marginally literate," either - I know plenty
of workers who are well read...but then, I'm also in an area with an abundance
of used book stores).

Sorry again, Debra.

- Geoffrey