Re: [*FSFFU*] FEMINISTSF Digest - 1 Nov 1997 to 2 Nov 1997

From: Daniel Krashin (dkrashin@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 02:16:22 PST

>Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:13:04 -0400
>From: "Geoffrey D. Sperl" <gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM>
>Subject: The Postman
>
>All,
>
>I just finished David Brin's _The Postman_ (while listening to Janet
Jackson's
>"The Velvet Rope"...no connection - I just like to have music playing
while
>reading). It is a postapocalyptic novel that sees Gordon Krantz, a
minstrel
>(sp? no dictionary nearby...) of sorts, don the clothing of a dead mail
>carrier for warmth and survival, only to lead to the largest story he
ever
>told: the story of the Restored United States of America.
>
>Now, it deals with women in intrguing fashions. I don't want to color
>anyone's minds if they haven't read the book, but I would like to
discuss what
>everyone (who has read it) thought of this book and the wide range of
women
>presented in the piece.
>
>- Geoffrey
>
>P.S. Yes, this is the book that is the basis of Kevin Costner's new
movie,
>_The Postman_ (coming out next month). I have no idea as to what the
>storyline is, but there are still shots that I can't find matching
scenes to
>in the book, and a vast number of names seem to have changed...anyone
have
>more info on the movie?

Without actually going back and rereading it, my vague recollection
is that women served mainly as spear-carriers and symbols of the
civilization that the protagonist is trying to re-establish...
about par for the post-apocalyptic course.
About the movie: like most film adaptations, not much beyond the "high
concept" survived, according to David Brin about 9 months ago when I
was on his listserv... things could be worse: an earlier version of
the screenplay had "The Postman" a homicidal maniac, using the role
of the postman to prey on the survivors...
Now, that sounds like a more interesting movie to me than this
version... (another reminder that Most People Aren't Me...)
I also got the impression from Brin's email that extensive changes had
been made to make the film more of a star vehicle for Costner.
(ObFeminist:these changes probably make the film more PC)
Dan Krashin
I just couldn't stay away