Re: [*FSFFU*] Gattaca

From: Susan Palwick (palwick@SCS.UNR.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 07 1997 - 12:19:25 PST

Julien,

Yes, I know what you mean about the dualism in the film, the whole body
vs. spirit thing. I think I found the female characters a bit more
sympathetic than you did, though; remember that Vincent's mother loved him
despite his flaws (perhaps more than his father did), and wanted to honor
him with his father's first name even after she knew that he had a short
life expectancy, etc. And the Uma Thurman character *did* rise above her
(perceived) limitations, as Vincent pointed out to her after they ran down
the alley. When she said, "I can't do things like this," he answered,
"You just did." I saw her limitation more as the social one of not being
willing (as Vincent was) to break the law and become a "borrowed ladder"
to outwit the authorities. In other words, she accepted society's
definition of her -- although she was moving away from that towards the
end -- but then again, so did most of the men in the film. It would have
been nice to see a female "borrowed ladder," just for balance, but the
movie couldn't do everything . . . maybe a sequel? <g>

Hope this makes sense --

Susan