Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women

From: Susan Palwick (palwick@SCS.UNR.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 10:38:38 PST

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Pat wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Cathy Deluca wrote:
>

> > In particular, Seven of Nine, Voyager's newest character, is clothed in the
> > tightest full-body suit that I've ever seen - not to mention the 4 inch
> > heels. Not exactly my picture of a strong, liberated woman. Even when she
> > was a Borg, her costume made sure to emphasize her large breasts and
> > buttocks. And the female Borg in the Star Trek movie "First Contact" was
> > also heavily sexualized. I haven't noticed any "buff" male Borg characters
> > to date.
> >
> And i picked up a rumor somewhere that they were going to have this
> spacegoing bimbo come out as lesbian!
> Though in her defense - she may be undergoing a delayed adolescence.>
>
> Patricia (Pat) Mathews
> mathews@unm.edu

Okay, I'm going back into Devil's Advocate mode: why can't a strong,
liberated woman wear tight clothing and high heels if she wants to? And
some lesbians *like* being femme, y'know?

I have had several blonde, curvacious, pretty and well-dressed (and very
bright!) students throughout my teaching career who've gone on at great
length, when given the chance, about how much they hate being called
"bimbos" just because of how they look. For all I know, some of them were
lesbians, although I didn't ask. (Various students have assumed that I'm
lesbian just because I have short hair!) The pretty/sexy = dumb =
straight stereotype is, IMHO, one of the most misogynist ones out there,
and I'm acutely uncomfortable with seeing feminists perpetuate it.

Now, since I don't have a TV and therefore haven't seen any of the zillion
new versions of ST, I don't know anything about this character's
*behavior.* If she acts like a bimbo, that's one thing. But the outside
of the package has no correlation with the number of gray cells inside.
Right?