Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women

From: Stephen Smith (jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 16:25:07 PST

You know Star Trek has "tried" homosexuality in a few episodes...there was the
infamous episode between Dax and her ex-lover. There was that screen kiss
that probably sent to censors in paroxysms of fear. Also the Riker and uh I
don't remember what she/he was...episode. That was the official original
homosexual try...and I think there was one other...but I forget. I don't
think it's so awful if the character becomes a lesbian...but I wonder if they
aren't trying to capitalize on "ellen."
        About this clothing thing again...I think it is great, fine, fantastic to
dress as you like (remember the movie "the Accused" with Jodie Foster?
fabulous take on this very issue). However, one must realize as I believe
Susan pointed out...those clothes carry meaning. Which is why on Melrose Place
or Friends or whatever Jiggle show you look at, women show their bits...for
sex appeal. Plain and simple. I would hope that people could rise above
commodizing themselves like pieces of meat, and demonstrate at least a modicum
of depth. I think Jodie Foster carries it off well. If a woman knows how
people see their clothing...why not invent or subvert rather than trying to
follow what is expected of them?
Julien