Re: [*FSFFU*] Star Trek Women

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 17:36:41 PST

In a message dated 97-11-10 15:22:09 EST, Cary Enoch wrote:

> At 10:38 10-11-97 -0800, Denise Borgen wrote:
> >On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Pat wrote:
> >> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Cathy Deluca wrote:
> >>
> >> And i picked up a rumor somewhere that they were going to have
> this
> >> spacegoing bimbo come out as lesbian!
> >>Though in her defense - she may be undergoing a delayed
> adolescence.>
> >>
> >The rumor I heard was that when Seven discovers her sexuality she is
> >going to try as many permutations as possible to try to understand i.
> >(Sweeps week, perhaps?)
> >

> I asked a friend of mine at Microsoft who is the expert on all matters
> Trek, Lesbian, and anything in between and she immediately pointed me to:
> http://www.gaytrek.com/pr.html. It is a Press release. However, Paramount
> didn't issue it and will not comment on it. My own attitude is "so what?"
> ST will simply be catering to a special interest group if they do it.
> Nothing new there. They still won't have a strong woman character besides
> Kira Narice(sp?) who can serve as a role model for the widest possible
> audience. I think that should be a higher priority.
>
> "I'd like to take this time to push my personal political agenda."
> "Unfortunately, I don't have one." --Tim Allen (at the 1995 Oscar
ceremony)

> Cary

I'm sorry but I don't believe the folks behind ST will be "catering to a
special interest group" if they have Seven of Nine explore lesbianism during
sweeps week. Rather they will be catering to what seems to be a large
segment of the male population who find the idea of lesbianism titillating
while simultaneously condemning homosexuality in all forms. Hasn't anyone
heard of "lesbian chic"?

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com