Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 13:46:18 PST

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Geoffrey D. Sperl wrote:
>
> > Verhoven probably thought he'd throw two or three minorities in
there
> > for flavor...I can't remember: does Heinlein actually go into the
ethnic
> > make-up of his characters?
> >
> Yes he does, in exhaustive detail. Every human breed seems to
be
> represented - Lieutenant Jelal is Turkish, for instance. In some cases
he
> doesn't say - as with Breckenridge, who I've always pictured as
> African-American. And the leading character is Filipino.>

Speaking of media treatment of minorities... This is way off topic but I
had to tell somebody... I just saw the most idiotic TV edit on "Die Hard
With a Vengeance" on Fox tonight. Bruce Willis is forced by a mad bomber
to stand on a Harlem streetcorner, naked, wearing a sandwich board with
a racial slur on it. But on TV, they changed the racial slur (with
computer tinkering I suppose) to the slogan "I Hate Everybody." So when
a bunch of young black men attack him, they attack him for no good
reason! Do they think it's better to slur African-Americans with a
stereotyped portrayal than to use a slur word?

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"We live in Gothic times." - Angela Carter