Re: [*FSFFU*] Intro/tie-ins/Star Wars

From: Vonda N. McIntyre (vonda@OZ.NET)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 14:40:31 PST

Hi Jenny & all,

(New Zealand is so beautiful!)

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you like Moon &
Sun. Is it available in NZ?

I always thought I'd have to consider siding with
the Empire, because at least in the Empire you
didn't have to stay in purdah if you were a woman
who wasn't a princess. That was the _only_ way I
could explain the weird population dynamics of the
background characters. (Never even mind the
foreground characters.)

Was also one of the reasons I was interested in
taking on the challenge of my Star Wars novel --
to find some characters in the universe who
weren't (by now) middleaged white guys.

Vonda

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:45:59 +1300, Jenny Rankine
<jrankine@HRC.GOVT.NZ> wrote:

>A Star Wars aside - I can't get over how they managed to film a universe of
>people including only about six women - and get away with it! ...

http://www.sff.net/people/Vonda
The Moon and the Sun -- One of Publishers Weekly's
"Best Books of 1997"
http://www.bookwire.com/pw/bestbooks97.article$3946