Re: [*FSFFU*] X-Files

From: Penelope Gibbs (PENEL@calc.vet.uga.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 17 1997 - 06:00:40 PST

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:25:47 -0600
MARINA YERESHENKO said:

> Penelope,
>
> I wonder if the last season for X-files means they are going to kill them
> both. Honestly, thoughout the the show, I liked "separate" episods (about
> monsters, psychics, zombis, and serial killers) more than the ongoing thread
> about the alien/government conspiracy. It's something I am going to miss
> if they cancel the show.

I suspect that the characters (Scully and Mulder) will not die. I am
with you on the monsters/zombies etc. I looked forward to the rerun
of the "Peacocks" and the "Golem" (sp? and possibly not the correct
titles) but never saw them (so you might say I am missing them
already)...did they run them again?

Scully is portrayed as quite the independent women...but with
something "missing" in her life (as is Mulder). So I find that the
episodes go back and forth as to which character is the "more
scientific" Vs. "emotinal". I personally find nothing wrong with
showing emotion. I am a scientist (Microbiologist) and believe me,
the vast majority of scientists are NOT objective or unemotional
about their research. How can one not be quite concerned with the
thing you are spending your life on? So, the display of emotion does
not indicate to me that they are "downplaying" Scully's stamina or
the ability to be objective, but instead can be giving her the drive
she needs to keep going. I grant you, however, when the emotions
go unchecked, this can lead to great difficulty (as oftentimes with
Mulder). Is this not a universal HUMAN flaw, and not gender-related!?!
And again, Mulder does this more often than Scully.

What ticks me off is when emotion is pointed as a giant flaw for
women (or men, for that matter). I think emotion can be quite
empowering. One must latch onto the emotion, harvest the energy it
provides, and go forward with the issue. I have found this true in
myself as I have been fighting a very emotional battle over gay
rights here in Athens, GA. I have never had so much extra energy in
my life...and although we are losing the battle, I have never felt so
empowered!!

What I like the most about some of these episodes (besides govt.
conspiracy) is that some of them are not complete fantasy.

Coming from the South, I was mesmerized by the "Peacock" episode. We
always heard that this goes on in the "backwoods"...and as a child
I was always curious about that. Now, as an adult, I live in the
"backwoods", and I think I see families (to put it in Southern
lingo) "that ain't right". However, I do not visualize them as
malevolent as the Peacocks' appeared to be. Of course, I do not know
them at all as I have only seen them.

I find the science fiction I enjoy the most is that which may not be
as much "fiction" as they are "possibilities". i.e. _Brazil_, the
movie. I found it a little too much like today to be comfortable.

Penny