Re: [*FSFFU*] Barbie News

From: Susan Courtney (susan.courtney@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 13:56:46 PST

Not SciFi but fact - the reason for Barbie's outrageous proportions is

as much technical as sexist. The numbers of folds of fabric for the

waistbands of her skirts would have made her mal-proportionately thick

around the middle in clothes if her waist had not been corrrespondingly

pared. At least that's the way the story is told in the Barbara Benesch
wrote:

> Since Barbie's been on the list lately, I figured I'd mention that apparently
> they're releasing a version of Barbie with an expanded waist and a
> diminished bustline. I think it's Hula Barbie, but I'm not positive.
> They're apparently only releasing the one with the "non-traditional"
> measurements, but... who knows.
>
> Barbara Benesch
> BJBenesch@aol.com
provocative and insightful book on the subject, Forever Barbie by M G
Lord.

Susan Courtney

PS - Belated introduction: I'm 48, born in Chicago, BA English from

Smith, living in Kent, about 40mi SE of London for the past 13 years.

Journalist and researcher in commercial real estate now turned

psychotherapist. Trying to decide whther to leave this list because I

spend too much time emptying my inbox of unwanted TV stuff and can't

figure out how I'll make the time to read all the new authors I'm

hearing about. I haven't figured out how to read the archive - so I may

be repeating old material, but, I notice the absence of references to

Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed and Ancient Light and Colin Greenland's

Daybreak on a Different Mountain.