Re: [*FSFFU*] SF and academia: was Re: Mythology book query -Reply

From: Rhian Merris (RHIAN.M.MERRIS@CPMX.MAIL.SAIC.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 05:11:00 PST

To Mike Levy,

> When my then girl friend P.C. Hodgell decided to take
> off a year to write her first novel, Godstalk, she was roundly
> criticized by the director of graduate studies and her Ph.D.
> advisor for wasting her time. Even the fact that the book sold
> to a hard cover publisher and was nominated for awards
> didn't change their attitudes. Of course she later got back at
> the advisor by giving his name to a ruined, cursed city in her
> second book, Dark of the Moon.

ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod. You _went out_ with P.C. Hodgell? I
absolutely _love_ Godstalk!!!!

> By the way, on another thread, strong female characters,
> has anyone mentioned P.C. Hodgell's Jame? She's one of
> the toughest characters ever to appear in fantasy literature.

Yes, yes, yes! Jamethiel is a fantastic character! Ah, I'm blathering!
 I can't help myself. So, did she ever write a sequel to Godstalk, or
anything more about Jamethiel Dreamweaver? All of the suggestions of
Jame actually being Jamethiel Dreamweaver got me totally stoked to read
more, but I could never find anything more on the subject. Also, do you
know how I could write to her? I guess I should just write via a
publisher, but my copy of Godstalk is an old paperback, and I don't know
if she still has any connection with the publisher.

Rhian
rhian.m.merris@cpmx.saic.com