Re: [*FSFFU*] SF and academia: was Re: Mythology book query -Reply

From: Becca Stoler (rstoler@MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 16:00:18 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Bonnie Gray <bgray@ECE.UCDAVIS.EDU>
To: FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU <FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU>
Date: Friday, November 21, 1997 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [*FSFFU*] SF and academia: was Re: Mythology book query -Reply

> This is something that has always puzzled me... why "popular"
>literary forms are not considered worthy of study by some
>academics. It seems that science fiction, mystery, etc. could
>be interesting to study partly because they are "popular" forms,
>and can say a lot about current culture.
>
> Of course, I'm a scientist who hasn't been in an English class
>for over five years :) Anybody who knows about these things: what
>do you think?
>
>Bonnie

I may not be the best person to respond, seeing as I am a first year English
major (undergrad), however, I will give it a shot. In the academic world, I
have run into two types of professors. The first is purely academic.
Anything after T.S. Eliot is not English Literature. (even he is pushing
it.) They refuse to believe that modern writers can create anything of
value. they subscribe to the theory that "If something is any good, it's
already been written."

The other type, views current literature, even (oh my gosh) Popular
Literature, as worthy of study. I have heard of classes on Agatha Christie,
Steven King, and other more current writers. (I much prefer this type of
Proff.)

The first group is usually higher up on the "totem pole" than the second,
and the second is fearful of the first. The entire situation creates on big
mess. I do not have evidence to support this, and lots of people may
disagree, but that is what I have seen in my admittedly limited experience.
I wish it were not this way, but... "If wishes were horses, beggars would
ride."

Thanx for letting me ramble like this.

Becca

Dreams Are Born In The Heart And Mind, And Only There Can They Ever Die
remember Narnia, wonderland, MiddleEarth, and Never Never Land, and you
shall truly never die.
Peace Be With Thee and Blessed Be