Re: [*FSFFU*] SF and academia and popularity (me too)

From: Honor Wallace (wallachm@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 20:35:16 PST

Thanks to everyone for the explanations about the SF/sci-fi difference. My
two cents, as someone who is very interested in working with science
fiction (in the creatively critical, rather than creatively productive
sense (wincing grin)): I've always wondered if it weren't the academy
itself that perpetuated, or at least pushed, the distinction between good,
literary science fiction and the arguably more pulpy brand. My
university's library, which is decidedly *not* geared toward the study of
genre fiction, stocks a significant number of Delaney works (fictional and
non) but has only one Nebula Awards collection (and that from '86, I
believe). I don't at all mean to imply that the Nebula awards are not
literary. It's just that, if I were forced to rely solely on the
resources of my own library, I would find a canonized groups of folks but
have _very_ little idea of what fans are discovering. In other words, I'm
"allowed" to write on a certain number of authors who have made it into
the repected journals.

Moreover, I suspect that the reason a number of "literary" (gosh, I'm
using a lot of quotes) authors--Delaney, Russ, Piercy, LeGuin, Wittig--are
attractive to the academy not because of any literary talents they
demonstrate within or without the science fiction tradition, but because
they so readily yield to the most trendy of critical inquiries.
Delaney's Lacan-fest in the Neveryon series is I think the most deliberate
example of this, but there are others. None of this I consider a bad
thing--I've enjoyed reading all of these authors--but I sometimes
experience mild paranoia that the academy is attempting to co-opt genre
fiction, without conceding it its own set of strengths.

Whew. Sorry so long. Any takers?

Honor