Re: [*FSFFU*] old thread- feminist dystopias/utopias

From: Michelle Bernard (Michelle.Bernard@COLORADO.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 25 1997 - 14:05:47 PST

        I guess I see that part of the difference between Sargent and Tepper
(besides the time, I don't want to harp on the dates too much) is the
attitude. The men inside the Women's Country are sort of enlightened
beings (not necessarily partners since Tepper didn't develope that very
much) while the men outside are rejects (coddled, to be sure). Sargent
questioned, but not to my satisfaction, how a culture shapes
actions/thoughts. It ultimately proclaimed the disatrous effects (well,
this is how it came across to me, unfortunately) of a women's only
society and how it would inevitably end (for the good).
        I think that the feminist agenda changed between Russ/Charnas and
Tepper and that Sargent might show the change. Then again, I like to
connect all this with Faludi's (non-fiction) _Backlash_. I would like
to see more strong(successful) all-female societies written now. It
would show something about the late '90s that I think is missing. Can
anyone point me towards some?
misha