Re: [*FSFFU*] feminist utopias/dystopias--Tepper's The Gate to Women's Coun try

From: Bonnie Gray (bgray@ece.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 10:41:30 PST

     Although I, too, was a little annoyed at the casual dismissal of
homosexuality (seems too easy and convenient!) I liked the idea that
Tepper drops the reader into a society in transit, which is definitely
NOT a utopia, but which one could imagine it eventually turning into
one (flakey genetics and convenient dismissal of homosexulaity aside...).
or at least improving.

     I read "Glory Season" by Brin about the same time, and remember
thinking the opposite: this is a society in decline (at least the
clone-leadership end of things).

       It has been a NUMBER of years since I read both books, however.
I'm only remembering surface impressions, not any deep thoughts I got
out of them at the time. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

Bonnie