Re: [*FSFFU*] The Handmaid's Tale

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 28 1997 - 13:43:45 PST

Pat wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Geoffrey D. Sperl wrote:
>
> > that you're expected to do research as well. You might be best off
> > examining what Atwood saw as the trends we were headed in during the
>
> > mid-eighties and then comparing all three

> > --

> Forget the mid-eighties. It's just a blip on the screen.

I'm sorry, Pat, but I disagree. The time in which a work was written is
an important part of research. While it would do good to look at all of
American history, it's the fact that Atwood saw the US as having the
potential to fall into a theocracy just as Iran did. I think any
individual who looks over the historical context in which a book was
written is overlooking an important influence over the book itself.

Ever the non-poststructuralist,

Geoffrey