Re: [*FSFFU*] Gate to Women's Country and heroism

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 30 1997 - 04:25:49 PST

>I've been looking at heroism in feminist sf a lot lately, and I can't
>figure out what is heroic about Stavia, who, after all, is Tepper's
>protagonist.

Possibly the genre here (utopia/dystopia) is not one in which people can act
heroically: or at least, the idea of individual heroism is not relevant? Are
we meant to be wondering whether the whole idea of the individual hero is a
masculine construct? or that female heroism is something very different--maybe
involving things like endurance rather than heroic feats?
        I don't think Stavia is meant to be heroic: she is the protagonist, which is
different from 'the hero'.
        In the context of Tepper's other works, the (female) Wizards in the Jinian
trilogy, who work in silence and cunning as opposed to the flashy antics of
the Gamesmen, may have some resonance here.
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com