Re: [*FSFFU*] Genre categories: Good or Evil?

From: Rhian Merris (RHIAN.M.MERRIS@CPMX.MAIL.SAIC.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 12:11:00 PST

Robin wrote about the value of Genre categorization, SF, sci-fi, etc...

 ----------
Why do people think it has to be divisive or bad?
 ----------

Robin,

For my part, I wasn't bothered by the search for some sort of
categorization. Rather, I was bothered by some of the posts that seemed
to cast aside as valueless elements of the SF/sci-fi continuum that did
not fit into their preferred category.

In other words, some of the anti-sci-fi posts seemed to be using these
categorizations to deny value to a whole lot of works.

Maybe I was misinterpreting.

Rhian
rhian.m.merris@cpmx.saic.com