Re: [*FSFFU*] Sci fi/SF & Genre categories (kinda long)

From: Christine Boltz (christine_b@EMAIL.MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 21:07:16 PST

Well said, Lindy! I think you summarized what I think are the best
arguments for why the SF genre has literary and intellectual merits that are
both unique and shared with other genres.

One book that impressed me recently was Hyperion by Dan Simmons. The
novel's complex story line(s) include well-developed characters (many of
which were female), insightful commentaries on what a future civilization
based on earth's descendents may be, and countless references to John Keats
and other literary and cultural media. On top of that it had creative and
original ideas about time travel and alien life. Hyperion is the first in a
series (as the novel's unresolved ending is disappointing to some readers),
and the rest of the series is on my "to read" list (which has grown
exponentially since I subscribed to this list server).