Re: [*FSFFU*] genres, etc (+ popular culture on/off (?) topic)

From: Joan Haran (joanharan@DIAL.PIPEX.COM)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 14:26:48 PST

Heather wrote:

> Sorry, didn't mean to be patronizing in the slightest--one of the very
> components of lower class status is being less educated and hence, having
> lower reading level.

I still think, however, that this is a problematic assertion - I am an
ex-pat Scot, and a significant feature of Scottish working-class culture is
auto-didacticism and life-long learning, using public resources such as
lending libraries - your statement has to be very clearly located
geographically and historically

Joan