Re: [*FSFFU*] FEMINISTSF Digest - 6 Dec 1997 to 7 Dec 1997

From: Donna L. Hall (adonna@JUNO.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 18:59:32 PST

Cynthia Gonsalves wrote:
>Subject: Re: Honor Harrington series

>Actually, I thought it was cool that a woman could be First Lord of the
>Admiralty. Since it's a job, and not an inherited title, I guess it
>didn't bother me too much. Also, in the 6th book, did you notice that
>one of the past Andermani emperors (died childless, and the succession
>goes in the male line) was succeeded by his sister who had herself
>legally declared a man to avert a war between her male cousins? Turned
>out to be one of the best "emperors" the Andermani have had.

I recently read about a tribal group in which, if a family has too few
sons to provide for the parents in their older years, a daughter will be
declared a son, and raised as one, to grow up with all of the rights and
responsibilities of a son. Seems similar to this emperor who was legally
declared a man.