Re: [*FSFFU*] genres, etc.

From: Peter Buckland (pvbuckland@BIGFOOT.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 10:02:07 PST

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997 19:50:36 -0600
MARINA YERESHENKO <my0203@BRONCHO.UCOK.EDU> wrote:

> If (or more likely, when) they come up with means of participating in
> on-line discussions by using a microphone instead of typing, don't you
> think it will affect the numbers of people still willing to type and read
> the messages?

Too late!

Speak Freely allows text and voice communication.
http://www.fourmilab.ch/netfone/windows/speak_freely.html
CU-See Me has voice and video capabillities.
http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/PC.CU-SeeMeCurrent.html
I have not tried either system, so I am simply pointing them out.
Internet Explorer 4 has voice-mail facillities. I have tried IE 4, and I
am definitly _not_ recommending it.

No, I don't think that voice will have much affect on online discussions.
And hopefully none on offline discussions such as this. The beauty of
email (Micro$oft please note) is its simplicity. One voice-mail message
would take longer to receive than the 50 - 100 other messages I get each
day. If one in ten messages carried voice I would need a new hard drive
if I wanted to keep them for reference. Also, (excuse me, someone is at
the door... sorry I was so long, are you still there?) holding
discussions offline means that we ca(What now? OK, I'll be there in a
few minutes)n all participate when it suits us best without missing
anything.

Long live the written word.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
Catweasel <pvbuckland@bigfoot.com>