Re: [*FSFFU*] Fairy Tale Princesses

From: Marilyn Nulman (mnulman@CURTISLIBRARY.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 08:44:25 PST

Anny and list--I'm a storyteller who tells to children and adults, and I
want to assure you that yes, there are queens and kings who are good people
and the prime movers of their tales, but these tales have fallen into
obscurity, for the most part. In the days before general literacy, folk and
fairy tales were an important source of entertainment and education.
Storytellers told stories that addressed every aspect of life and
development, from the youngster dealing with the discovery of evil without
and within, to the adolescent setting out to find a life's work and life's
companion, to the adult dealing with loss, disillusionment, old age and
death. As literacy became more common, and adults turned to novels for
entertainment, only the tales told to children stayed popular. By the way, I
would approach any tale told by Disney with great caution. They have been
wrenched out of shape. The old versions are far more nourishing to the
spirit, especially the female spirit.
        Alan Chinen, a psychiatrist, has collected four books of tales
useful to us older folk. They are, "In the Ever After", about old age,
"Once Upon a Midlife", self explanitory, "Beyond the Hero", about men's
journeys past macho, and Waking World, about the heroic feminine. I
recommend them highly. The excellent "Women Who Run With the Wolves" has
alread been mentioned, and I'd like to add "The King and the Corpse", a
collection by Heinrich Zimmer that has enriched my life immeasurably.
        I'm so glad you started this thread.

Marilyn