Re: [*FSFFU*] Fairy Tale Princesses

From: Joan Haran (joanharan@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 15:13:27 PST

Stacey Holbrook wrote:

> There are a lot of powerful female figures in fairy tales if you go
beyond
> the usual *Snow White* and *Cinderella* stories. It's sad that the most
> popular fairy tales are the ones that feature the most helpless and least
> interesting "heroines". *Snow White* is my least favorite character. In
> some of the older versions of the story, she is as dumb as a brick. She
is
> repeatedly warned against danger and walks right into it every time. Ugh!

Have you read Sheri Tepper's _Beauty_ which includes retellings of a number
of canonical fairy tales, including Sleeping Beauty and Snow White? Can't
summon up the brainpower to say much that is useful about the book, but the
dumb as a brick description rang a bell.

_Beauty_ is well worth a read.

Joan