[*FSFFU*] Book Club *and* Disney Folk-Tales

From: Erica J Kline (ejkline@BECKMAN.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 16 1997 - 10:25:26 PST

Hello All!
I'm new to the group, and I don't know if it's appropriate here, but most
of the lists I subscribe to like to have new members introduce themselves,
so here goes... My name is Erica, and I have been a feminist for as long as
I can remember and a sci-fi reader ever since I discovered a box of 1950's
"Analogs" and "Galaxies" in our basement. In addition, I'm a mom, a
scientist and a easterner-turned-californian. I have numerous hobbies, but
reading is the one that I always come back to. I'm really pleased to find
this list and I hope I can make meaningful contributions from time to time.

My first comment is about the Book Club - I think it's a great idea - I'm
already a member of a FTF one at my library, and it's really good to hear
everyone's opinions about a book while it's still fresh in your mind. I
heartily agree that we limit it to books that are available in paperback,
and that we have a couple of months lead time - I like to get my books from
the library and sometimes it takes awhile.

My second comment is about the Chinese Folk-Tale about a woman who
disguises herself to become a warrior. There is a good treatment of this in
Maxine Hong Kingston's "The Woman Warrior"; very detailed, although it's
not clear how much of the detail is from the folk-tale and how much is
Maxine's invention. I especially enjoyed how the woman warrior deals with
her family responsibilities.

Bye for now - and thanks for such an interesting group!
--------
Erica
ejkline@beckman.com