Re: [*FSFFU*] McIntyre's The Moon and the Sun

From: Catherine Asaro (asaro@sff.net)
Date: Sat Dec 27 1997 - 03:25:40 PST

Michael Marc Levy wrote:

> Just finished The Moon and the Sun last night. What a wonderful book.

I thought the book was brilliant.

The depiction of the female protagonist is so right on is took my breath
away.

And hoo-boy, having grown up as a Roman Catholic, could I ever relate to
that "women should be =silent=" business. Argh! To this day I have
trouble speaking up for myself.

I was also impressed by how well McIntyre captured the contrast between
a protagonist of talent and industry, and the way she was viewed by the
men in her culture. The business about how the fellow Chartres had her
respect and admiration and squandered it without ever understanding what
he had lost was particularly well done.

I also liked that McIntyre showed how Marie-Josepha managed to excell
despite a situation which made it difficult. This wasn't a story about
failure, but rather one about meeting the odds and overcoming them.

A fine book, all around.

Were Chartres and Lottie actually the king's children? I had that
impression but it was never stated one way or another (then again,
practically everyone in the book was his kid <g>). If that was true,
then Chartres married to his own half-sister, didn't he?

The other thing that struck me was the way the sea woman healing
Marie-Josepha. What a beautiful use of irony. Here she did indeed have
a great gift to offer them, perhaps not immortality but =something=
special. And they never saw it.

Best regards
Catherine
http://www.sff.net/people/asaro/