Influence of sci-fi on women

From: christine roane (roane@MAP.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 26 1997 - 09:43:59 PST

I was delighted to discover this list!

        I'd like to ask female subscribers who became interested in
science fiction as adolescents, how the portrayal of female characters
influenced their development into adult women. Well-publicized examples
of this include Whoopi Goldberg, who was inspired to pursue her dreams
by Nichelle Nichols' character, Lieutenant Uhura, on "Star Trek," and
shuttle astronaut Mae Jemison, who was influenced in her career choice
by the same program.
        I am writing a book on this subject and have a questionnaire for
those of you who would like to contribute to my research. I'd love to
have you review my questions, and I'd love even more to have your
        Please, send your e-mail address to me:

        I'll send you the questions ASAP. And thank you all.

        Christine Roane