Re: marge piercy

From: Laura Quilter (lauramd@uic.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 10:53:18 PST

Of the works I've read by her (about half), she's written three that are
SF.
        WOMAN ON THE EDGE OF TIME -- which is fantastic, one of my
all-time favorite books, and a must-read for any feminist OR any
science-fiction OR any utopian scholar.
        DANCE THE EAGLE TO SLEEP -- I liked it a lot, very political, very
much about youth & revolution. Not as science-fictiony as WOTEOT or HE
SHE AND IT but still definitely an alternate (near) future. Although it
was written in the 70s, taking place in the late 70s early 80s as a
possible future.
        HE SHE AND IT -- very, very good. If you like cyberpunk, are a
librarian, interested in information or gender issues, or like Jewish
imagery, this would be of interest.

Her other works are all realistic in nature but pretty good. Everything
I've read by her rates from "pretty well" to "one of my all-time
favorites".

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Janet E. Essency wrote:

> As you happened to mention Marge Piercy in your annoucement about this
> list, I thought I would throw out a question to the group(Is there one
> yet?) about her.
> I have never read anything by her. One of the people I work with is so
> gung-ho about her that she arranged for her to come to campus next
> month. So what do anothers think about her as a writer? And hasn't she
> only written a couple of books that can be classified as SF?
> Am interested in any & all opinions. Janet

Laura M. Quilter / lauramd@uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago
http://www.uic.edu/~lauramd/