Re: Hello!

From: Nicola Griffith (NicolaZ@aol.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 1997 - 12:23:58 PST

In a message dated 97-03-30 11:42:04 EST, RUJONES@DELPHI.COM (Ruth Ann Jones)
writes:

<< >I LOVE LISA Tuttle. Have you had a cahnce to read _A Spaceship Built of
>Stones_? Especially "Husbands" and "Wives"--excellent for a critique of
>gender roles. I taught them with moderate success to a freshman English
>class. Any other Lisa Tuttle fans out there?

 I haven't read those but will look for them, because I really liked
 "The Pillow Friend." Finished it last night (I was only half way through
 when I sent that post) and my God, was the ending ever creepy! <g>

I haven't read _The Pillow Friend_ because I find that Tuttle's later work
doesn't hold my interest to the extent that, say, her work in _A Spaceship
Built of Stone_ does. The latter is a marvellous collection of short
fiction; beautiful, clear, and strong. Some of her later short fiction has,
in my opinion, become...oh, I don't know, "unpleasant" is the best word I can
come up--unpleasant for sake of unpleasantness: no great insights into
anything, no exploration, no mulling, just...unpleasant. (I promise to
expand my vocabulary Real Soon Now.)

What did you like about _The Pillow Friend_, Ruth Ann?

Nicola

Nicola Griffith
http://www.america.net/~daves/ng/