Fem Sci Fi Canon

From: Judith A. Little (littleja@POTSDAM.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 18:53:28 PST

Hi, All!
        I just wanted to tell all of you who submitted reading
recommendations how much I appreciated receiving your lists. Good job!
I've just formed a Fem Sci Fi book discussion group on my campus and your
suggestions will really come in handy. Not that we didn't already have
enough ideas for books...so many books, so little time.

        A few words on the 'hero' topic. (I haven't had time to read all
remarks yet so may be repeating others' thoughts.) On the face of it, I
think a feminist conception of 'hero' must be different from the
traditional concept. The ancient stories of the male 'Quest' repeated or
rehashed over the ages in Western lit, for instance, nearly always involved
abandonment, misuse, betrayal, or death of a helpful woman, without whom
the hero could not have succeeded. Check out the _whole_ story of the
first Quest, Jason's for the Golden Fleece. Ditto the Arthurian legend for
betrayal of woman/women responsible for the success of Arthur. The hero's
code: Loyalty to men, yes; to women, no.

        Judith

Dr. Judith Ann Little Philosophy Department SUNY-Potsdam
       Potsdam, NY 13676-2294 littleja@potsdam.edu