Re: BEAUTY

From: Hope Cascio (Hcascio@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 09:10:29 PDT

I think retold fairy tales are fascinating, too. There's one, "Ever After,"
which I'm almost certain is by Nancy Kress, is a retelling of "Cinderella"
with a vampire spin... that is, the fairy godmother is a vampire, and she
turns the ingenue into one, too. Had some interesting things to say...
vampires can't have their own children, so they take other people's: this is
directly compared to the priesthood. A priest shows the protagonist (the
fairy godmother) compassion, and in turn, she shows compassion for a woman
who's pretty much spent her life trying to reveal the godmother for what she
really is. Neat, evil little power plays, bittersweet. If anyone's read it,
I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

Hope Cascio