Re: Deerskin (was Re: The Female Man)

From: Elizabeth Pandolfo (pandolfo@MACBSD.COM)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 15:46:09 PDT

I, too, would love to hear about your students' reactions. I found this to
be a deeply disturbing, thought-provoking novel (I'm not familiar with the
original folk tale). I agree it's more "psychologically sympathetic", and
all the more disturbing because of how McKinley handles the attack scene.
I felt caught up in the events and strangely distanced at the same time,
and I think it powerfully (and clearly) shows how psychologically damaging
such an event can be, much more so than other writing trying to graphically
describe a victim's reactions.

--
Elizabeth L. Pandolfo/Briggs
pandolfo@macbsd.com

"Whatever happens, believe that the journey is worth taking..." --Peth, "Seaward"