Re: Egalia's Daughters

From: Bonnie Gray (bgray@ECE.UCDAVIS.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 15:54:22 PDT

     re: Timmi Duchamp's observations:

     I read Egalia's Daughters for the first time at the suggestion of
a (male) friend last summer. I thought it was a very well-written
biting satire. Perhaps the most important contribution of the book,
at least to me, was just how ARBITRARY the gender roles were
portrayed, ie, completely the result of (wo-)man made conventions of
behaviour. The systematic oppression of men was rationalized
so rediculously, it shed more light on presently (and, even more so,
past) society-dictated gender roles than a direct satire of a male
dominated society would have.

     However, although I consider the book a classic, I can't help
wondering if some of the references, no doubt current when the book
was written, passed me by because I am of a different generation.
Which brings me to my next question: Does anybody know of a
more recent book written in a similar vein?

Bonnie Gray