Re: what do students read?

From: lissa bloomer (ebloomer@MAIL.VT.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 21:11:55 PDT

Laura wrote:

>HI well I've been reading the list for awhile and haven't been saying
>anything because I've read so few of the books mentioned. I'm a Sr in HS and
>I thought answer this question, too. In my Ap english class about half of
>the class read just for assignments. About two read "trash romance." Maybe
>three read the traditional books that are usually taught in school. About
>four of us read science fiction, most of my friends despice science fiction
>and think I'm nuts for reading it, but who cares. I haven't been reading
>science fiction in a few years, but my bibliomaniac teacher got me hooked
>again.
>
>Laura Sandeen
>"Hampton"

Laura: so glad to hear from a younger person... it's absolutely necessary
to hear your voice!!! i haven't read as much as the others on the list,
either... but i'm learning so much by discussion. (i'm 30 and an english
instructor). (double ack.) what have you read? and what did you think
about those works? AND why do you think you and your friends don't read sf?
or at all? do you feel that the females read more or less -- and why? and
one last question: what is going on in the high schools and around younger
people today that makes them think that feminism is so terrible? i'd love
to get your perspective.

-lissa bloomer

if you're wearing pants, thank my great great great grandmother.

elisabeth bloomer
instructor, english
virginia tech
ebloomer@vt.edu