what do students read?

From: lissa bloomer (ebloomer@MAIL.VT.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 07:47:28 PDT

>NH: Do you know what they do read?

hi nalo et al,
in my questionnaire/contract i ask my students (freshpersons) what they
read... usually in a class of 25, 5 have never read a novel all the way
through, 15 of them (all young men) read Stephen King, Tom Clancy, and
Michael Crichton... and the young women (the 7-10 -- women are a minority
still here, though not by much) usually report texts that they read as
assignments (Hamlet, Macbeth, Jane Eyre, 1984, Scarlet Letter.... canon
stuff). of 25, about 5 seem to be avid readers. by the end of the semester,
i think i have changed that -- perhaps my proudest aspect of teaching.

if i'm lucky, i'll get one student who has read sci-fi. and it's usually a
young male who reads Heinlein. (one of whom introduced me to the works of
Giger -- the artist for the movie "Alien")(perhaps the only visual artist
who could be labelled science fiction feminist???)(anyone know of
others???)

i wish wish wish i had more students who came to the class as avid
readers-- and sci-fi readers. it's one of my goals to change this.

-lissa bloomer

if you're wearing pants, thank my great great great grandmother.

elisabeth bloomer
instructor, english
virginia tech
ebloomer@vt.edu