Re: SF and Translation

From: Sheryl Curtis (maddog@INFOBAHNOS.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 11:45:05 PDT

>Sheryl,
>
>could you clarify what appropriate would look like? Do you mean
>subject matter, length or style?
>
>Farah.

Sorry about that. I guess by appropriate, I meant stuff dealing with
translation as done by people and not some magical computer which manages to
do everything flawlessly, but there's really no explanation as to how the
thing got programmed. I'm also interested in material in which shows the
conflicts which can arise when peoples not speaking the same language come
into contact and how they deal with language issues. Native Tongue and the
Lingster series look in part at the training of translators and that stuff
is fine for my purpose since I am trying to show my students that
bilingualism is just the first step towards becoming a translator. If there
is any more material along those lines I would be interested in knowing
about it. I guess I'm also interested in material on how ordinary people,
as opposed to trained translators and language experts, deal with language
barriers when they come into contact. Sorry if this sounds a little
diorganized, I'm having a stressful day and am now off to take my 7-yr-old
to the doctor. Thanks for any help.

S.