SF and Translation

From: Sheryl Curtis (maddog@INFOBAHNOS.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 06:07:29 PDT

Hi:

I'm fairly new to the list and although I enjoy reading you all, I don't
have much time to post. Now I'd like your help. I teach French to English
translation part-time at Concordia University. The course I generally teach
is the introductory course, so there is little focus on translation theory
or history, which is covered in other courses. In addition to the practical
work we do in the course, I generally make my students read one book on
translation theory. I have been thinking of trying something new next fall
and having them read science fiction books or short stories which discuss
translation. I am familiar with the first two Native tongue books and I
believe I read on this list a couple of weeks that there is a third one, for
which I would be grateful for a reference. What I would like to know is if
any of you could give me authors and titles which would be appropriate. If
the material is feminist it would be even better, since the large majority
of translation students and translators are also women. Anyway, any help
will be appreciated.

Sheryl C.
Montreal, Quebec