Re: SF and Translation

From: Antonio Marcos da Silva Pereira (anmarcos@UFBA.BR)
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 03:41:53 PDT

hi!

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Sheryl Curtis wrote:

> What I would like to know is if
> any of you could give me authors and titles which would be appropriate. If
> the material is feminist it would be even better, since the large majority
> of translation students and translators are also women. Anyway, any help
> will be appreciated.

1) for a very intriguing account of translation abd the problems involved
in such a process you may check several titles by stanislaw lem
("solaris"; "fiasco"; some short stories), but i truly recommend you his
"his master's voice". the book is about a group of scientists trying to
crack a supposed message from the stars - the stretegies for making sense
of the unknown are astonishing, and lem' s discussions / raves are, for me
at least, always rewarding. also, you might want to take a look at
delany' s "babel-17" - the story is about a poet / translator /
interpreter, and delany' s discussion of whorfian themes in a space opera
setting are an accomplishment (this novel keeps being one of my favorite
among delany' s). there' s a sh by tiptree also, but i forgot its name...
please reply me privately if you want me to check it for you.

best

Antonio Marcos Pereira <anmarcos@ufba.br>