Re: Fwd: Like Water for Chocolate

From: Lorie G Sauble-otto (lorie@U.ARIZONA.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 28 1997 - 09:14:32 PDT

Let's be careful in a "feminist" discussion of SF--When we start in with a
discourse based on "hard science" it gets sticky and sexist. We need to
begin--as Many Many people, especially women, already have--to realize the
evolution of the genre--the traditionalist approach to genre is based on a
masculinist construct.

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Karen A. Ketcham wrote:

> I've read some Borges and magical realism sounds like an appropriate genre
> for works by Laura Esquivel. Could magical realism be considered a
> subgenre of sf? or have i stepped on the wrong turf here (oops).

Lorie Sauble-Otto
Dept. of French & Italian
Mod Lang 549
The University of Arizona