The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas

From: Madalyn Galdamez (mgaldame@shrike.depaul.edu)
Date: Sat May 03 1997 - 08:20:02 PDT

Hi--

I am new to this discussion...and, I am a novice reader in LeGuin's
literature. I just read The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas and I am
embarrassed to say, I didn't understand anything!!! Can someone please help me?

1) why the boy in the cellar? --who is he?
2) why the festival?
3) what's the purpose of the boy w/the flute?
4) why is kid being mistreated?
5) who "can" visit and why do they visit?
6) why did some people leave Omelas? why did some stay?

As you can see, I didn't get it...

My problem in trying to understand the metaphors is that I am too literal
(the result of my Catholic upbringing? --ha, ha).