Re: Science and Sexism

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@york.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 09:35:44 PDT

On Thu, 1 May 1997 12:35:13 -1000 Daniel L Krashin wrote:

> The territory you claim for feminism seems to consist of:
> Ignorance
> Superstition
> Religion
> Fantasy

Daniel, don't generalise please, there are many different feminisms.
The Sokal incident, however, is also about a battle between literary
and cultural studies and some of the other humanities. As a historian
I am particularly at the butt of this. My department was recently
criticised for not teaching enough cultural theory, but I and my
colleagues have yet to meet a cultural theory we like better than old
fashioned empiricism, which for all its faults, adapts well to changing
world views and paradigms. We were cheering Sokal on, men and
women both.

Farah