Re: Science and Sexism

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 09:39:00 PDT

On Thu, 1 May 1997 20:16:50 -0400 Heather MacLean wrote:

> From: Heather MacLean <hmaclean@KENT.EDU>
> Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:16:50 -0400
> Subject: Re: Science and Sexism
> To: FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU
>
> You know, y'all fly off the handle pretty quickly. My very first post
on
> this subject was purposefully argued from a linguistic stance. If
you'd
> like, we can just go more connotative:
> _hard_ science, versus _soft_ science. Now you tell me that
choice of
> adjectives is not somehow significant.

Heather, whatever you think about lingusitics, your objective reality
is that you are talking to us on a piece of "hard-ware", the product of
"hard-science" actually a euphemism for technology. The same
would be true if you were using a pencil.

Does this mean that a computer or a pencil is sexist? The rule I
would use is "garbage in, garbage out/sexism in, sexism out"
.Nothing instrinsic about it.

farah