Re: your mail

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Sat May 10 1997 - 03:27:46 PDT

On Fri, 9 May 1997 14:03:57 -0700 Michelle Kendrick wrote:

> I have 19 students in the class (juniors and seniors) and I was
hoping to
> have them "lurk" on this list -- to see the kinds of issues,
arguments,
> discussions that educated individuals have on these topics. I
didn't want
> to do this, however, without asking "list" permission. I would, of
> course, give them lessons in netiquete, and have them sign off the
list
> at the courses end.

Michelle,

I for one would be *honoured* to have your students a part of this list.
Please don't ask them to just lurk. Your course sounds fascinating
and they could contribute a great deal. As long as they understand
the orientation of the list, I do not see that we should start
establishing hierarchies.

> Science "makes" truths. That is, it uncovers certain things in the
> physical world and constructs narratives to make sense of those
> discoveries. Not all narratives will hold up; and like all narratives,
> they are susceptible to the ideologies of their times.
>
> So while there is validity in questioning scientific narratives to
> uncover the ideological assumptions buried within -- it is nonsense
> criticize all "Science" as inherently this or that (sexist or capitalist
> or racist...).

The above is extremely sensible.

Thanks,

Farah