Oaths and Miracles

From: Robin Gordon (gordonro@GOV.ON.CA)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 13:16:19 PDT

I just finished reading Nancy Kress' new, in paperback, Oaths and Miracles
and wondered what other people thought of it.

I was very excited starting it because I absolutely loved Beggars in
Spain, and enjoyed Beggars and Choosers (but a bit less so).

While I enjoyed Oaths and Miracles I was disappointed at the limited
speculative elements of it. What I mean is that it's virtually set in the
present and involves an interesting mystery story which revolves around
scientific research. So it certainly has a science element, but otherwise
involves little distance from present reality. Unlike the Beggars series
which starts in the near future but then propels forward, spinning out the
implications of the scientic, and subsequent social and political,
changes.

One thing I do have to say about Kress, she hands an ensemble of
narratives from a few central characters extremely well. particularly in
this book I noticed that I was equally interested in all the characters,
though disappointed they were predominantly male, and impressed at the way
in which the multiple narratives served the mystery elements.

I noticed in a list of her publications a book called Beggars Ride. Is
this a third in the Beggars in Spain and Beggars and Choosers series? I
haven't seen it in my usual stores.

p.s. I too yearn for a whole summer off to read read read. An activity
which my father unfortunately referred to as "sitting on your ass."
Lovely fellow. I particularly loved reading long series in the endless
free time of the summer, David Eddings, Cherryh's Merovingen Nights
series and frequently revisited confortable old Darkover books.

Robin Gordon

"I am the wall with the womanly swagger."
Judy Grahn