Re: summer reading

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 13:21:52 PDT

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Maryelizabeth Hart wrote:

[snipped my stuff...]

> Aw, you got to read in the car?!?! No fair -- I had motion sickness.
> (Semi-graphic comment ahead) I still can't drink cola beverages 'cause the
> taste makes me think of the coke syrup my mom gave me for car sickness.

  Ouch. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be stuck in a car
for hours without being able to read. I imagine that I might have been
like the stereotypical kids always asking "Are we there yet?". Luckily, I
seem to be almost completely immune to motion sickness from gentle motions
and changing lights. Interestingly enough, I don't do so well on
amusement park rides (though that may be abject terror and tension rather
than actual motion sickness :).

  I wonder if my being so easy to deal with in cars (I imagine that it's
not difficult to deal with a quiet, page-flipping child) contributed to
the fact that we drove long distances so much.

  I don't drink cola beverages either though not for that reason. I just
think they taste "hard" whereas I like "soft" drinks. Who knows, maybe
that's what makes them so popular, being so masculine and inherently
patriarchial... :)

> However, I had an isolated room and was able to read late into the night
> with a regular reading lamp! Too bad I have such poor vision anyway. I
> probably ruined it by sneaking out my door and reading in the strawberry
> patch in the moonlight. Best book I ever read out there: _A Wrinkle in
> Time_.

  I had a loft bed with a nice light right there. However, my parents
would see the light under the door and worry about me. When I read I
generally blocked out the external world so much that I didn't really
notice where I was. Come to think of it, I'm like that all the time...
Anyway, while reading in the moonlight in a strwberry patch sounds really
cool, I doubt I would have noticed. Now the thing that gets me is being
vertical or horizontal while reading. I just feel more comfortable when
reading laying down, resting on my elbows, with my legs free to twitch
around. For a while, I felt best when I had something over me (like a
table or something) but I think I outgrew that.

> Best book to reread every summer: _Seven Day Magic_ by Edward
Eager. >
> Gotta go find that one now. And Nesbit's _Enchanted Castle_. And Norton's
> _Steel Magic_. And...

Wow, 3 books I haven't read (or heard of) in close succession. I would
respond with my favourites but I can never pick. Oh well.

-- Joel VanLaven