Re: midnight feasts

From: Edward James (E.F.James@READING.AC.UK)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 06:32:13 PDT

On Sun, 18 May 1997, farah mendlesohn wrote:

> There is a wonderful book by Rosemary Auchmuchtie the title of
> which I unfortunately forget looking at the appeal of girls' school
> stories to feminists. It was particularly interesting in that she
> highlighted their "colonial" appeal.
>
> I liked the books because they were the very few adventures that I
> did not have to share with boys.
> Farah

This is our library's catalogue entry for the book Farah refers to: I can
confrim that it is an excellent book. It hasn't quite made me into an
Elinor Brent-Dyer fan, but at least I now see the appeal! It is
interesting (but predicatable?!) that while there have been half a dozen
good studies of boys' school books that I know of, this seems to be the
only serious study of girls' school books.

 Auchmuty, Rosemary
  TITLE: The world of girls / Rosemary Auchmuty.
  FORMAT:
  IMPRINT: London, Women's Press, 1992
  SIZE: x, 244 p
  NOTES: Cover title : A world of girls.
  SUBJECT1: Oxenham, Elsie Jeanette--Criticism and interpretation
  SUBJECT2: Bruce, Dorita Fairlie--Criticism and interpretation
  SUBJECT3: Brent-Dyer, Elinor M.--Criticism and interpretation
  SUBJECT4: Blyton, Enid--Criticism and interpretation
  SUBJECT5: Women in literature
  SUBJECT6: Boarding schools in literature

Edward James